Stuart Frost, of DATAllegro fame, has started a small family of companies, and they’ve become my clients sort of as a group. The first one that I’m choosing to write about is Cirro, for which the basics are:
- Cirro does data federation for analytics.
- Cirro has 10 full-time people plus 4 part-timers.
- Cirro launched its product in June.
- Cirro doesn’t have customers yet, but hopes to fix that soon.
Data federation stories are often hard to understand because, until you drill down, they implausibly sound as if they do anything for everybody. That said, it’s reasonable to think of Cirro as a layer between Hadoop and your BI tool that:
- Helps with data transformations.
- Helps join Hadoop data to relational tables, even if the joins are large ones.
In both cases, Cirro is calling on your data management software for help, RDBMS or Hadoop as the case may be.
More precisely, Cirro’s approach is: Read more