Following up on an earlier piece, DATAllegro has sponsored a second white paper on MPP data warehouse appliances. This one focuses specifically on DATAllegro’s move from Type 1 to Type 2 (i.e., virtual) appliances, via its new V3 product line. The basic tradeoffs of this move include:
- Superior hardware reliability
- Hardware lock-in shifted from DATAllegro to Dell, EMC, and Cisco
- Loss of specialized encryption acceleration
- Possibly a loss of some other performance optimization as well
- Better time-to-market in exploiting general Moore’s Law performance speedups
Actually, I didn’t make that last point explicitly in the paper, but it quite possibly trumps any performance disadvantages from the switch. And Moore’s Law itself certainly far outweighs any other performance-affecting factors.