July 25, 2012
Oracle wants you to help you migrate from Microsoft SQL Server to MySQL. I was asked for comment, and replied:
- There are many SQL Server/Windows uses for which MySQL/Linux would do just as well. (Edit: But see the comments below.)
- However, I’m not sure in how many cases it would be worth the trouble of migration.
- Many Microsoft users have adopted a thick Windows-based stack. MySQL migration doesn’t address them.
- At the other extreme, if your application is really trivial, why bother moving?
- A few Seattle-area internet companies may have adopted SQL Server and now be wondering why. For them, this offer could be appealing.
Am I missing anything?