After several hours of DBMS 2 being down, I put out a “We’re broken” note from another blog. Naturally, the next fix I tried seems to have worked. My joy in that far outweighs my embarrassment. This kind of thing just happens once in a while when one has business-critical software that isn’t good at having a test-to-production staging cycle.
In case anybody ever runs into the same problems, the short form of the story is:
1. DBMS2.com came down due to a corrupted automatic upgrade of WordPress.
2. The fix was to do an automatic install of WordPress to a dummy domain, then copy over the files in the domain’s root and wp-includes directories.
3. The one file that needed to be copied back from the old installation was wp-configure. (Once it occurred to me to start reading from index.php, it took me about 1 minute to figure that out …)