I was asked to clarify one of my July comments on Oracle12c,
I wonder whether Oracle will finally introduce a true columnar storage option, a year behind Teradata. That would be the obvious enhancement on the data warehousing side, if they can pull it off. If they can’t, it’s a damning commentary on the core Oracle codebase.
by somebody smart who however seemed to have half-forgotten my post comparing (hybrid) columnar compression to (hybrid) columnar storage.
In simplest terms:
- Columnar storage and columnar compression are two different things. The main connections are:
- Columnar storage can make columnar compression more effective.
- In different ways, both technologies reduce I/O.
- EMC Greenplum, Teradata Aster, and Teradata Classic are all originally row-based systems that have gone hybrid columnar.
- Vertica is an originally column-based system that has gone hybrid columnar.