February 25, 2009

Partial overview of Ab Initio Software

Ab Initio is an absurdly secretive company, as per a couple of prior posts and the comment threads on same. But yesterday at TDWI I actually found civil people staffing an Ab Initio trade show booth. Based on that conversation and other tidbits, I think it’s fairly safe to say:

Comments

10 Responses to “Partial overview of Ab Initio Software”

1. Ed on March 27th, 2009 1:53 am

Having used AbInitio, Talend and almost every other ETL/ELT product on the market. I would very much doubt such a claim by Talend that they come close to AbInitio in performance. AbInitio has an amazing capacity to squeeze out every ounce of performance from the hardware it is running on. I do understand why they are so secret, their approach is elegant and simple but could be easily copied.

2. Dan on September 28th, 2010 3:00 am

ab initio’s secrecy has since 1995 always been part of their marketing strategy. I.e., generate buzz in inside circles. That being said, they had some sharp technologists at the outset focusing on building a very scaleable high performance platform bundled with professional services to ensure successful deployment.

That being said, it will be interesting to see where mapreduce-based ETL solutions will be in perhaps 5 years. I think parity is at least that far off given the lack of pipelining and the significant investment in application-layer tools for data hygiene, precedence, conflict resolution, change management, etc. But I never bet long term against the power of an open-source movement with momentum.

3. Savan on October 27th, 2010 9:16 am

Clover ETL is as good as Ab Initio at a fraction of cost. It is also very easy to use (if not easier than Ab Initio)

4. Savan on October 27th, 2010 9:17 am

A book on Ab Initio for those want a head start – http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/ab-initio-etl-made-easy/11920613

5. ETL Maven on August 22nd, 2011 7:22 pm

Evidently that book on Ab Initio is gone– the Secrecy Squad must have gotten to them…

6. Curt Monash on August 23rd, 2011 12:33 am

The Clover ETL guys reached out to me, then didn’t follow up.

Sometimes I think the whole ETL industry is screwy. (Just kidding … partly.)

7. Jura on September 30th, 2011 4:15 pm
  8. john on March 4th, 2014 6:42 am

Is this a Spanish software made in Mexico? And what’s up with the ‘Ab’ word? It sounds like one of those late night infomercial advertising

9. Curt Monash on March 4th, 2014 7:03 am

Not Latin America. Just Latin.

10. Antonio Romero on August 4th, 2014 7:26 pm

Looks like the ab Initio book is gone again from Lulu. Do they have Silencer Squads out that take out anyone who leaks the Secret Lore?

I’d love to know whether their usability really is what it’s cracked up to be– the few screenshots I have found on the web looked like nothing special, and the rest of the world is still moving… As far as squeezing all the performance out of your hardware, I can only speculate what they’re doing… maybe they’re really good at tuning integration/transformation to e.g. fit within the large caches on modern CPUs. And in the age of Hadoop, can they still justify their price point in terms of high performance on massive data volumes? so many unknowns.