Groovy Corp sent over a press release and apparently suggested I write about the company’s wonderfulness immediately. This was without any kind of briefing. I don’t do that kind of thing.
However, a Twitter check revealed that Tony Bain is familiar with Groovy Corp and the Groovy SQL Switch (apparently they started out in Australia, where he lives and works, and he evidently knows the guys). Tony’s take, in summary, is (emphasis mine):
- They are an in memory RDBMS
- They have worked with Intel to architect from the ground up for large multi processor concurrency
- Initially they are launching as a multi-core appliance
- They claim 200,000 sql operations per second from a single box
- They are proprietary (not built on MySQL or any other open source database) which means they have had a lot of control around their architecture
- They are a pretty cool company with some interesting people
There’s a little more detail at the above link.